- Discuss the background and significance of the AIDS epidemic, including geographic patterns of transmission.
- Discuss the characteristics of HIV disease.
- Describe the transmission of HIV infection, including risk behaviors and routes of contagion.
- Discuss the natural history and classification of HIV infection.
- Describe the treatments available in the care of patients with HIV, including antiretroviral regimens.
- Summarize AIDS prevention efforts, such as vaccine research and development.